Principles & Indicators
Five core principles were established in order to help determine and compare the level of success enjoyed by a downtown. There are a range of indicators associated with each principle. Examples are listed below.
VISIBLE - does the downtown have an integral and central role in the life of the city?
- E.g. Downtown area as a % of total area
- E.g. Downtown proportion of office, housing, retail and open space
VISIONARY: Does the downtown benefit from bold leaders who collaborate to achieve a shared vision?
- E.g. Downtown plan in place (date/process)
- E.g. % implementation of projects/plans identified as priorities
PROSPERITY: Does the downtown have a robust and innovative economy?
- E.g. Building permits (annual + trends)
- E.g. Value of residential property in downtown
- E.g. Tax base value per square meter
LIVABILITY: Is the downtown vibrant, livable and connected?
- E.g. Demographic breakdown - diversity, age profile, marital status etc.
- E.g. $ invested in parks, open space annually + trend
STRATEGY- is the city investing strategically in the future of its downtown?
- E.g. trend in $ allocated to Community Improvement Plan or equivalent for downtown
- E.g. $ allocated for capital improvements to public realm (sidewalks, parks) downtown vs citywide.